By now, we’ve come to pattern an „Active“ chronicle of a latest Samsung SX device. Also by now, we’ve mostly come to terms with a fact that it still isn’t commercially accessible in other markets outward a US. That aside, a Galaxy S8 Active is a ruggedized chronicle of a Samsung Galaxy S8. It also does not H2O down specs or skimp on facilities over a customary model.
Here, you’ll find a same camera, CPU, and even a same HDR-compliant arrangement from a Galaxy S8. One thing value observant is a shade is a same aspect ratio and distance as a Galaxy S8, nonetheless a categorical disproportion is a Active isn’t curved.
The Active various is a device that’s targeted during those who have physically perfectionist professions or usually suffer a outdoor and would like to have a additional assent of mind about their phone.
In a past, a Active indication even had an additional key, one that could open a ‘Activity Zone’ app (exclusive to a ‘Active’ variant) or whatever we wanted to module it to do. Well, Samsung has bumped a „Activity Key“ down to „Bixby Key“ status.
Samsung Galaxy S8 Active pivotal features
- Body: Rugged pattern with steel frame, stable by unenlightened rubber bumpers with grip-textured behind plate. IP68 H2O resistant, as good as startle resistant and shatter-resistant potion display. MIL-STD-810G compliant.
- Display: 5.8″ Super AMOLED arrangement QHD+ (2,960x1440px) 18.5:9 aspect ratio (2.06:1), 568 ppi, Gorilla Glass 5, HDR support.
- Rear camera: 12MP f/1.7 aperture, twin pixel proviso showing autofocus, OIS; face/smile detection, palm or voice shutter, Multi-Frame Image Processing; 2160p/30fps video recording.
- Front camera: 8MP, f/1.7 aperture, autofocus; 1440p/30fps video recording.
- OS/Software: Android 7.0 Nougat; Samsung Grace UX; Bixby practical assistant; Smart Connect, Smart Connect Home
- Chipset: Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 octa-core CPU (4×2.35GHz Kryo 280 4×1.8GHz Kryo 280), Adreno 540 GPU.
- Memory: 4GB of RAM, 64GB of expandable storage; microSD label container for cards adult to 256GB, UFS label support.
- Battery: 4,000 Li-Po (sealed); Adaptive Fast Charging (QC 2.0 compatible)l WPC (Qi) PMA wireless charging.
- Connectivity: Single-SIM (Exclusive to ATT in a US) – 4-Band/5-Band conduit aggregation, Cat.16/13 (1Gbps/150Mbps); USB-Type-C (v3.1); Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac MU-MIMO; GPS; NFC; Bluetooth 5.1
- Misc: Barometer; Samsung Pay; fingerprint scanner; iris scanner, DeX wharf compatible;
- Programmable Activity Key is now Bixby Key
- No bundled earbuds
- No Gear VR compatibility
- Verizon and International accessibility not nonetheless approaching
In a past, a ‘Active’ chronicle of Samsung’s flagships were slower to accept central updates, quite given a phone is usually accessible by a singular US carrier, that have been scandalous for loitering central program updates in a past. Though, things have been improving slowly, though surely, with Samsung’s refurbish magnitude ever given Google started expelled monthly confidence updates.
Titanium Gold Front • Gold Back • Meteor Gray Front • Gray Back
If you’re on ATT in a US, we have 3 competing Galaxy S8 options: a customary indication goes for $750, while a Active and Galaxy S8+ go for $100 some-more during $849. So we could possibly get a incomparable shade and incomparable battery, or a ruggedized Galaxy S8 during unchanging size, with a most incomparable battery (33% some-more than a Galaxy S8).
One other tidbit that might be value mentioning, a Galaxy S7 active from final year had a „active“ branding in all-lowercase letters, as good as a Galaxy S6 active before it. Not certain what Samsung was perplexing to do with all-lowercase branding (which did chuck us off, to be honest), though Samsung has capitalized a „A“ in „Active“ here.
Now that a OCD is out of a way, a doubt remains: is a Galaxy S8 Active a right phone for you? Let’s find out together, starting with a unboxing on a subsequent page.